Thursday, July 17, 2008

Garden Update with Pictures!






The first tomato fruit that set, which was very little, has pretty much ripened. Been busy eating a variety of tomatoes! My favorite so far has been the Black Brandywine, but not for the taste, for the color. This tomato has been so beautiful to watch change colors! My favorite for taste so far is an unknown heirloom from Phil's package of Rainbow mix seeds! It stayed quite green at the shoulders and deep red to orange to chocolate at bottom, was very sweet, and potentially identified as Black Prince.


There seems to be a new flush of flowers and tomatoes on most all plants though so more to come! The heirlooms I grew have been surprising! They have sturdyier trunks instead of spindly stems, and most all started out with monster fused flowers! The Cherokee purple fused flower has become some hideous fused tomato!


The parthenocarpic squash-Perfect Pick-finally put out a zucchini! Just the one plant so far but it has three zucchini on it!


Last but not least the last four bales are planted! Well not true, three of the four are planted, one bale kills everything I put in it! I put 1 bag of Lowes brand compost/manure mix across two bales and seeded four more zucchini, this time the parthenocarpic duo from Thompson Morgan. Also planted three purple tomatillo seedlings in the third bale. One broke when inserting it, but I be darned if the thing did not live! The tomatillos have quadrupled in size since planting in the bales. The only problem I have with the squash bales is that with all that compost on top I cannot tell if the bales are getting wet enough or not, but the squash is growing great so I guess they are!


No comments: